The Insurance Information Institute offers advice on how to be prepared for the next Katrina, as we commemorate the 5th anniversary of the death and devastation from that horrific storm. Certainly the hurricane was a major catastrophe, but almost as bad, many individuals and businesses suffered a second tragedy after the storm .... because they were not properly insured.
1) Be sure you have flood insurance.
2) Businesses need businesss interuption coverage.
3) Strengthen your property NOW with wind and flood mitigation upgrades and you will SAVE MONEY on your current home and business insurance (i.e.roof enhancements, windows and door protection, clear overhanging limbs and trees within 15 feet of your home, elevate low-lying structures and equipment, etc)
A great guide is located on the Mississippi Windstorm Underwriting website (www.msplans.com/MWUA) under the MWUA Retrofit Mitigation Guidelines link). Other excellent information is available at the Institute for Business and Home Safety website (http://www.disastersafety.org/) with downloads on Fortified structures.
4) Take a current inventory of your belongings for an easier claim process (i.e. use your camera or FLIP to take pictures or use free inventory software from III.
5) Have a disaster preparedness plan, so that you can quickly get "back into business".
6) Review your policies with your Trusted Choice Insurance Agent to ensure your property and content values are updated, so that you are not underinsured.
7) For your safety, follow the advice of the officials if you are told to evacuate. Some policies even offer a limited reimbursement program for mandatory evacuations. Check your policy.
If you are in Mississippi, Lousiana, or Alabama contact your Trusted Choice agent, Treutel Insurance - http://http//www.treutel.com , Angelyn at Treutel Insurance. You can reach us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org , phone:228-467-5662, fax:228-466-4314, FaceBook www.facebook.com/treutel.insurance, Twitter www.twitter.com/atreutel , or LiveChat: http://chat.livechime.com/treutel/blog.
We offer the following Lines of Coverage: Auto, Home, Life, Health, Disability, Motorcycle, Boat, Wind, Flood, Commercial Property, General Liability, Workers Compensation, Directors and Officers Liability, Bonds, Group Life and Health/Dental, Business Owners, Builders Risk, Commercial Crime, Errors and Omissions, Dwelling Fire, Commercial Flood, Group Accident, Garage Dealers, Inland Marine, Law Enforcement Liability, Pollution Liability, Professional Liability, Personal Umbrella, Commercial Fire, Commercial Umbrella, Excess Flood, Identity Theft, more…